Former aide, husband accused in suburban fire dept. theft
December 19, 2013 (PALOS HEIGHTS, Ill.) (WLS) -- A former aide in the Palos Heights Fire Protection District and her husband are accused of stealing more than $350,000 from the district.
Michelle Sopko and her husband Charles Sopko are charged with felony theft.
They're accused of diverting the money from the fire district to their personal account.
He is deputy fire chief in Oak Forest.
Her job included handling payroll at the Palos Heights department.
"She pretty much had control over all the books and presented the reports and people in different positions trusted the information was correct," said Det. Jerry Wodka Palos Heights Police Department.
The Palos Heights Fire Chief noticed discrepancies in the district's finances and notified the Cook County Sheriff.
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370, missing Malaysia plane, had asylum seeker onboard
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 57 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed 37 min ago
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77