Off-duty Cook County sheriff's officer shot at VFW hall in Bellwood
December 20, 2013 (BELLWOOD, Ill.) (WLS) -- An off-duty Cook County sheriff's officer was shot in west suburban Bellwood.
It happened around 8:30 Friday night at a VFW hall. He had been attending a birthday party.
Eyewitness News sources say the gunman may have entered the VFW with the intention of robbing it, and when the officer tried to intervene, the gunman shot him in the chest.
The officer was rushed to Loyola Medical Center in Maywood in critical condition.
St. Charles Road was closed a block in either direction from the VFW as police searched the surrounding neighborhood with dogs to locate the gunman.
No one is in custody.
local, john garcia
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman 59 min ago
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- CFD vehicle involved in South Side crash
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train 4 min ago
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event 6 min ago
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD