Off-duty Cook County sheriff's officer shot at VFW hall in Bellwood
December 20, 2013 (BELLWOOD, Ill.) (WLS) -- An off-duty Cook County sheriff's officer was shot in west suburban Bellwood.
It happened around 8:30 Friday night at a VFW hall. He had been attending a birthday party.
Eyewitness News sources say the gunman may have entered the VFW with the intention of robbing it, and when the officer tried to intervene, the gunman shot him in the chest.
The officer was rushed to Loyola Medical Center in Maywood in critical condition.
St. Charles Road was closed a block in either direction from the VFW as police searched the surrounding neighborhood with dogs to locate the gunman.
No one is in custody.
local, john garcia
- 4 children injured in S. Side drive-by shooting 40 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen 37 min ago
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 22 min ago
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout