Chicago Weather: City, suburbs wake up to White Christmas
December 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Is it a White Christmas where you live? A dusting of snow covered Chicago early Wednesday morning while the north suburbs got the most accumulation.
"Expect snow, not a lot of snow, maybe one inch or less," ABC7 Meteorologist Phil Schwarz said. The most accumulation will take place in the north suburbs. " Most of the accumulating will be over early Wednesday morning.
There's a 40-percent chance more snow will fall Wednesday evening before 11 p.m., paired with wind gusts as high as 20 miles per hour, according to the National Weather Service. But the majority of snow already fell.
The Department of Streets and Sanitation has deployed about 200 snow plow vehicles and plans to salt city streets as winter weather moves across the Chicago area.
The city said snow plow fleets will focus on keeping main streets and Lake Shore Drive safe and passable before moving to side and residential streets.
Snowfall is also expected Thursday morning for Lake, DuPage, McHenry and Kane counties and possibly again in the afternoon and evening, the National Weather Service said.
Wednesday's temperature high will rise to 28 degrees, which is10 degrees warmer than the high on Christmas Eve.
Thursday, Friday and Saturday in Chicago will be mostly sunny, according to the weather service. Thursday's temperature high will be near 25 degrees, while the highs Friday and Saturday will jump to 34 and 37 degrees, respectively.
Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State 10 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL 7 min ago
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse 13 min ago
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute 58 min ago
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- California earthquake centered in Eureka measures 6.9 magnitude
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- 7 in :77