Chicago Weather: City, suburbs wake up to White Christmas
December 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Is it a White Christmas where you live? A dusting of snow covered Chicago early Wednesday morning while the north suburbs got the most accumulation.
"Expect snow, not a lot of snow, maybe one inch or less," ABC7 Meteorologist Phil Schwarz said. The most accumulation will take place in the north suburbs. " Most of the accumulating will be over early Wednesday morning.
There's a 40-percent chance more snow will fall Wednesday evening before 11 p.m., paired with wind gusts as high as 20 miles per hour, according to the National Weather Service. But the majority of snow already fell.
The Department of Streets and Sanitation has deployed about 200 snow plow vehicles and plans to salt city streets as winter weather moves across the Chicago area.
The city said snow plow fleets will focus on keeping main streets and Lake Shore Drive safe and passable before moving to side and residential streets.
Snowfall is also expected Thursday morning for Lake, DuPage, McHenry and Kane counties and possibly again in the afternoon and evening, the National Weather Service said.
Wednesday's temperature high will rise to 28 degrees, which is10 degrees warmer than the high on Christmas Eve.
Thursday, Friday and Saturday in Chicago will be mostly sunny, according to the weather service. Thursday's temperature high will be near 25 degrees, while the highs Friday and Saturday will jump to 34 and 37 degrees, respectively.
Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home