Worker killed by falling bricks at Westfield Hawthorn Shopping Center in Vernon Hills
December 27, 2013 (VERNON HILLS) (WLS) -- A construction worker was killed and two others were injured by falling bricks at Westfield Hawthorn Shopping Center in north suburban Vernon Hills.
Fire crews say the men were working on the facade of a future restaurant when it collapsed around 11 p.m. Thursday. They were hit by falling bricks and chunks of concrete.
One man was hit in the head by the debris. He died at a Libertyville hospital. His name has not been released, but officials say the 24-year-old man was from Palos Park.
The other two injured workers had only minor injuries.
"At this point there is no indication that this is other than a tragic accident", said Michael Allison, Vernon Hills Village manager, in a statement. "Our deepest condolences and prayers go out to the family of the deceased."
No shoppers were at the mall at the time of the collapse.
OSHA has been notified.
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park 33 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released 34 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing 14 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van 1 min ago
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party 2 min ago
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- California earthquake centered in Eureka measures 6.9 magnitude
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- 7 in :77
27 min ago
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park
33 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment...
34 min ago