Blue Island Phenol chemical plant explosion: Attorney General Lisa Madigan files suit in Alsip
December 28, 2013 (ALSIP, Ill.) (WLS) -- Attorney General Lisa Madigan has filed a lawsuit over the chemical plant explosion at Blue Island Phenol in Alsip in unincorporated Cook County.
PHOTOS: Refinery Fire
On Dec. 13, 2013, flames and heavy smoke shot out of a chemical plant after an explosion was reported at an Alsip chemical plant.
Madigan filed the lawsuit at the request of the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency.
The agency wants an injunction ordering Blue Island Phenol to conduct an analysis that lead to the explosion.
Two employees were burned in the explosion and fire, which destroyed a storage facility and damaged other buildings at the plant.
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead in fire at Woodstock residence
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- 'Shady Bandit' suspected in North Side bank robbery
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- Jewel-Osco buys 5 former Dominick's stores
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant