1st New Year's babies of 2014 arrive in Chicago area
January 1, 2014 (WLS) -- The clocks in delivery rooms overnight were watched closely for word of the Chicago region's first baby of 2014 -- and there was plenty of competition.
Lazaro Matias Abundes appeared on the stage of life at 12:33 a.m. Wednesday. He wasn't due until January 18, but he cut short his mom's last-minute baby shopping to become Lake County's first new citizen of 2014.
"Called the doc... he said start timing your contractions, and before you know it my husband came to pick me up and we were here and a few hours later out came Laz," said mom Laura Abundes.
The first-time mother says clock-watching wasn't a priority.
"It was right after midnight when the doc was like, 'OK, he is coming right now, so he's either a tax-break baby or a New Year's baby,'" she said.
Hospitals around the region were feverish in their reports of New Year's babies... At St. Anthony Hospital, staff sang a lullaby as Lupita Perez and Jose Cholico welcomed their little girl at 2:40 a.m. -- likely as later New Year's revelers were going strong. In DuPage County, 7 lbs., 8 oz. Joseph Mark Dempsey was born at 7:33 a.m. at Good Samaritan Hospital. Before that at Prentice Women's Hospital in Chicago, Alexander Hokan Lazroff, weighing a solid 9 lbs. and measuring 22 inches long, arrived at 12:23 a.m.
But for Cook County, the title of first baby born goes to Chicago's Luis Marquez Jr., who came into the world at Resurrection Hospital, joining his big sisters at one minute past midnight.
"I wasn't trying for the New Year's baby!" said mom Luz Marquez. "It's amazing because he wanted to wait until a minute after midnight to be born!"
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 3 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty 40 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Teacher's aide posed as teen to meet girls online
- CTA Green Line service halted, officials say
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Dog rescue underway at Lake Michigan
- Foreign military mission barred from Crimea
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 13 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
40 min ago
- NLEI's Construct Program
46 min ago