Chicago family stranded 15 hours in car on I-57 after 6 semis jackknife
January 6, 2014 (HINSDALE, Ill.) (WLS) -- The Illinois State Police are warning drivers some major expressways are dangerous right now, so stay off the roads if you can. Eyewitness News has a firsthand account of the danger from a Chicago family stranded on their way back from Mississippi.
State officials called it "a worst case scenario." Six semis jackknifed, blocking I-57 Sunday afternoon, trapping 375 vehicles. The occupants of one of those vehicles finally made it back to Chicago on Monday night.
"Fifteen hours in the car is unbelievable," said Felicia Jones.
Felicia and Ricky Jones were driving home from his mom's funeral in Mississippi. Hour after hour, they waited.
"I thought we weren't going to make it," said Ricky Jones.
"We called the police, we called the state troopers, and there was no one there to help us," said Felicia Jones.
The Jones' and their three teens passed the time singing songs, playing computer games and eating snacks they had packed for the trip.
On Monday night, state police warn many roads remain treacherous. They may look clear, but ice is causing countless spinouts and crashes.
With more than half of all flights cancelled in recent days at O'Hare, many Chicagoans can't get home. A Hinsdale couple that went for a quick birthday trip to San Juan is now stranded after United left them in Panama.
"We have three kids, split them up with great friends and family. We also missed our daughter's 6th birthday, so it was a huge inconvenience. We're trying to make the best of it, enjoying Panama," said Maria Shepherd.
She's not alone. In Colorado, United took the Cousino family's luggage, but not them.
"We had to buy all our diapers and bottles and our clothes and pajamas and everything until we can fly back not until Wednesday evening," said Jen Cousino.
Whether they flew or drove, all of the families said they will reconsider their winter travel plans in the future.
local, ben bradley
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 57 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57 27 min ago
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Teacher's aide posed as teen to meet girls online
- CTA Green Line briefly interrupted 20 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend 47 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Dog rescue underway at Lake Michigan
- Foreign military mission barred from Crimea
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
27 min ago
- Charles "Peanut" Tillman 5k Walk/ Run
40 min ago