Elmwood Park cop allegedly stole $20K from elderly man with dementia
January 10, 2014 (ELMWOOD PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- An Elmwood Park police officer has been charged with official misconduct and financial exploitation of a senior citizen
John A. Wasilenko, 39, of Norridge, was taken into custody Friday morning. He is charged with official misconduct and financial exploitation of a senior citizen.
Police say they were contacted by an elderly man who said he did not write a $20,000 check that was made out to Wasilenko. Investigators say Wasilenko deposited a check in that amount in December 2012.
Police say the victim is an 84-year-old man with advanced dementia, whom Wasilenko allegedly befriended after speaking to the victim about thefts at his Elmwood Park home.
He is scheduled to appear in bond court Friday.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...