Elmwood Park cop allegedly stole $20K from elderly man with dementia
January 10, 2014 (ELMWOOD PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- An Elmwood Park police officer has been charged with official misconduct and financial exploitation of a senior citizen
John A. Wasilenko, 39, of Norridge, was taken into custody Friday morning. He is charged with official misconduct and financial exploitation of a senior citizen.
Police say they were contacted by an elderly man who said he did not write a $20,000 check that was made out to Wasilenko. Investigators say Wasilenko deposited a check in that amount in December 2012.
Police say the victim is an 84-year-old man with advanced dementia, whom Wasilenko allegedly befriended after speaking to the victim about thefts at his Elmwood Park home.
He is scheduled to appear in bond court Friday.
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Wicker Park water main break gushes for hours
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
- Suit: Wrestler dating ex pushed man down stairs at custody... 54 min ago
- I-Team: Illinois Poison Center hotline's cry for help
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand