Aurora condo units deemed uninhabitable; Weather causes 66 units to have no heat, water
January 10, 2014 (AURORA, Ill.) (WLS) -- Dozens of condos in west suburban aurora have been deemed uninhabitable because of damage caused by the weather, as 66 units had no heat or water for days.
They lost the electricity and water on Monday when the extreme cold hit because some pipes burst. They have since been able to restore both in some of the buildings, however some residents are still not able to return and they are being told it may not be back until sometime next week.
The Mohamed family is able to come back to their unit to get some things for their 11-month-old baby Friday night, but they have to stay with a friend, since they have been without heat and electricity, as well as running water, since Monday when the pipes burst.
"We didn't know what to do," said Asif Mohammed. "We tried staying here some more time, but then since things couldn't improve that quickly, we had to move."
There are more than 200 units in 42 buildings in the complex. The city has deemed 66 of the units uninhabitable until power and water are restored.
They say that will likely not be until next week.
"This has been my worst week since, ever," said resident Jim Hatton.
Crews have been working to restore service, but they've also got a massive cleanup job, including replacing the drywall they've had to rip out because of flooding from the burst pipes.
Some residents like Lesley Watts and her two sons have been able to return to their units in the last day or so.
"It was very inconvenient, seeing as if my closest relatives are in Oak Park, Illinois, and school and work and children are out here in Naperville-Aurora area, so that was a nasty commute," Watts said.
Most of the displaced residents Eyewitness News talked to have been able to find friends or family somewhat nearby to be able to stay with.
local, john garcia
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party 49 min ago
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- 7 in :77