Widener University shooting victim remains hospitalized
CHESTER, Pa. - January 21, 2014 -- Chester police are continuing their search for the gunman who opened fire on the campus of Widener University Monday night, leaving a student seriously wounded.
Officers responded at approximately 8:54 p.m. to 900 block of East 17th Street for the report of a shooting behind the Swartz Center Gymnasium.
Arriving officers found the 19-year-old student lying on the ground having been shot in the head and left shoulder.
Paramedics transported the victim to Crozer-Chester Medical Center where he remains in serious condition.
Chester police say the student was sitting inside a vehicle after playing a game of basketball when the shooter approached and opened fire.
Police say the shooting does not appear to be a random act.
The suspect is described as a male wearing dark sweat pants with a white stripe and a blue jean jacket. He remains at large and was last seen running off campus towards the Sun Hill section of the city.
Anyone with information is asked to contact investigators at 610-447-7813.
pennsylvania news, chester county news, shooting, local/state
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...