Girl found dead in snowbank hours after Round Lake Park train crash
January 23, 2014 (ROUND LAKE PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- The body of Alyssa Carranza, 7, was found in a snowbank hours after she was thrown from an SUV that was struck by a Metra train in Round Lake Park, Ill. Her father, Francisco Carranza, was also killed in the crash.
PHOTOS: Round Lake Park Metra, SUV crash
His body was found in the wreckage on Wednesday around 8 p.m. after the crash. Police said Alyssa's body was thrown from the SUV and into the snowbank. Both died of "multiple traumatic injuries," according to the Lake County medical examiner, and "alcohol was involved." Carranza was above the legal limit for alcohol, the ME said.
"It's shocking. It's hard to believe," Marisa Silva, cousin, said. "We really can't understand it."
"What the witnesses indicated was the vehicle was stopped and then proceeded to drive through lowered gates," Chief George Filenko, Lake County Major Crimes Task Force, said.
Carranza, who lived in Island Lake, was identified in the medical examiner's report. Alyssa, who lived in Round Lake, was identified by family friends.
Surveillance video shows the car hitting the train's crossing gate before it goes out of frame. The train is then visible, and the aftermath of the impact.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Senate candidate criticized for trip before election
- Brief warmup followed by snow
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 53 min ago
- Orr Academy basketball player back in game after shooting
- Body found near Ind. river where woman last seen
- Digital assets becoming part of estate planning
- I-Team: Billionaire arrested on Chicago corruption charges
- Con men targeting Mount Greenwood senior citizens
- Former Will Co. jail inmate sues over alleged excessive force
- State Rep. race in SW suburbs heats up
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
53 min ago
- Calumet Fisheries smokes, fries fish on...
49 min ago