Chicago Weather: Kids back at school; commuters back on schedule
January 29, 2014 (NAPERVILLE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Double digits! A warm-up in Chicago means students across the city and suburbs are back at school and commuters are finding fewer cancelations and delays.
Temps are expected to rise to the upper teens Wednesday, according to the National Weather Service.
"Anything above 10 is going to be pretty balmy," Michael Steele said. "So I may just wear a T-shirt and jeans."
It might feel like t-shirt weather, compared to earlier this week, but winter is far from over. This cold can take a toll on the mind and the body, especially your skin.
"I always recommend to my patients that you try to find a line of something that is good for the face. Gentle exfoliation to get rid of dead cells and moisturizing is so important," Dr. Jennifer Earvolino, Rush University Medical Center, said.
Dr. Earvolino recommends moisturizing at least twice a day, using sunscreen, and drinking eight glasses of water each day. She said people should be careful walking because muscles tend to stiffen in the cold.
Many Chicagoans say the hard part of the winter isn't the physical toll, but the mental one.
"It doesn't cause what we think of as clinical depression, but it can affect people's everyday moods," Michael Young, psychology professor at Illinois Institute of Technology, said.
Young said the winter blues are all about how people cope rather than the issue. The best way to avoid the blues? Don't become a hermit.
"In fact, you could go to a neighbor's house. Get in a car and go to the movies," Young said.
CPS students, like many others across the city and suburbs, returned to class after two days off due to dangerous cold.
At the Naperville Metra station, commuters still huddled together Wednesday morning, but with warmer temperatures trains should have less trouble keeping their schedules on track.
Meanwhile, cancellations continue at Chicago's airports. At O'Hare International Airport, 150 flights were canceled on Wednesday and at Midway Airport, 50 flights were canceled.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014 35 min ago
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer 43 min ago
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 20 min ago
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee 52 min ago
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate 54 min ago
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
20 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day celebrations continue
47 min ago
- Grab a pint or legendary pizza in Beverly
42 min ago
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
52 min ago