Nurse Diane Shogren killed by snow plow in Barrington
February 5, 2014 (BARRINGTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- A 51-year-old nurse was killed by a snow plow in the Barrington hospital parking lot where she worked early Wednesday. Her colleagues at the hospital tried to save her life, but her injuries were too severe.
There was sadness Wednesday night on a quiet block in Ingleside where 51-year-old Diane Shogren was known as a good neighbor.
"I'm so sorry for the family. I hope you know my prayers go out to them. It's just a shame. It's like something you wouldn't think would happen around here," said Frank Leber, neighbor.
It was around 5:30 Wednesday morning when authorities say Shogren was struck by a pickup truck with a plow attached as it was backing up in a parking lot at advocate good shepherd hospital.
"Immediately following the incident, the amber lights, the backup lights, and the backup alarm were working on the vehicle," said Sara Balmes, Lake County Sheriff's Dept.
Officials say it was snowing heavily at the time and visibility was reduced. Shogren, a nurse, was walking to the hospital after parking her car.
Authorities say the plow driver, also a Good Shepherd employee, called for help but Shogren would die in the hospital's emergency room.
"We are currently investigating the whole incident. Today, our priority is how do we care for everybody with all the care and compassion we can provide," said Fred Rajan, VP, Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital.
"There's no indication of drugs or alcohol being a factor. Of course, there will be toxicology that will follow," said Balmes.
Hospital officials say Shogren had been a long-time employee and neighbors say she was married with two college-age sons.
"It's something like you don't think would happen to people you know. And its, you know, they're really nice people. And it's just sad," said Leber.
It's been a long, difficult winter, but officials say there's no indication driver fatigue was a factor. The driver has not been charged at this time, but the Lake County Sheriff's Department says it continues to investigate.
local, eric horng
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 5 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break 5 min ago
- Flight 370, missing Malaysia plane, had asylum seeker onboard
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 7 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin 39 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
7 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
5 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
5 min ago