Florence Perez fatally struck by Metra train in Franklin Park, Milwaukee West service restored
February 6, 2014 (FRANKLIN PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- Service was delayed in both directions for hours on Metra's Milwaukee District West Line after a woman was struck and killed by a train in Franklin Park.
The victim was identified by Franklin Park police as Florence Perez, 44, of Melrose Park. According to police, Perez was walking too close to the tracks when she was struck. The train's engineer said he sounded his horn, but she never looked up.
Police say Perez was struck by a Metra Express train traveling west bound at approximately 40 mph through Franklin Park. At the time of the incident, the rail road gates and signal were functioning properly and the train's horn was active, investigators said.
She was pronounced dead on the scene.
Metra trains were temporarily not traveling any farther than Franklin Park in either direction. Inbound North Central Service trains picked up some customers from River Grove inbound into the city, Metra said. Service was restored on the MDW line by 8:50 a.m., about an hour after the accident.
Franklin Park police have reportedly viewed a security camera video that shows Perez walking around lowered crossing gates. The train's engineer has told police the same thing.
The incident remains under investigation.
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 6 shot at Austin party
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Ford Motor leader William Clay Ford dead
- Medical marijuana law poses workplace dilemma
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Illinois halts plan to require ATV permits
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Video: Newsviews - Tom Cross
- Video: Newsviews - Bob Grogan
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos