Chicago weather: Midweek warm-up to follow bitter cold streak
February 11, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A midweek warm-up is on the way for Chicago and the suburbs after Tuesday morning lows dipped well below zero across the area.
The sun made it feel a bit warmer on Tuesday, but Chicago area temperatures are 20 to 30 degrees colder than average for this time of year, ABC7 Meteorologist Mike Caplan said. While some area temperatures made it into the low double-digits by Tuesday afternoon, many parts of the Chicago area began the day with low temperatures registering well below zero.
A low of -8 degrees was recorded at O'Hare Airport on Tuesday, while Aurora and Joliet both reported -23 degrees as their lows, Caplan said. At Sterling Rockfalls in northwestern Illinois, a low of -29 was recorded Tuesday.
Earlier on Tuesday, a water main break canceled classes at Thornton Township High School in south suburban Harvey. School officials said the cold weather was the cause.
On Wednesday, warm air from the southwest will take over as high temperatures are forecast to reach into the upper teens and lower 20s. By Thursday, most areas of Chicago are forecast to hit the mid-to-upper 20s. Areas south of I-80 may even seen temperatures into the low 30s on Thursday afternoon.
Coast Guard works to break up ice on Lake Michigan
The U.S. Coast Guard worked to break up some of the ice that is covering much of southern Lake Michigan.
The Coast Guard Cutter "Biscayne Bay" was breaking ice near Navy Pier Tuesday afternoon and will head to Burns Harbor Indiana to continue its work Wednesday morning.
This winter's deep freeze has left 63 percent of Lake Michigan ice-covered.
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square 45 min ago
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan 3 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Pfleger wants 'American' billboard with assault weapon removed
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Chicago-Portland flight allegedly disrupted by man who wanted 4...
- Sign of Spring: Original Rainbow Cone now open
- NJ judge rules moms don't have to let dads in delivery room
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Amazon Accused of Cheating on Free Shipping
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
45 min ago
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
3 min ago