Dolton shooting: 2 teens shot near Thornridge High School
February 11, 2014 (DOLTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- Two teenagers were shot near a high school in south suburban Dolton.
The shooting occurred about a block from Thornridge High School around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday night. Police say the victims were not students at the school but sought help there, where a basketball game was underway.
Police told Eyewitness News a group of people was walking away from the school when a black minivan or SUV pulled up. One person got out, said nothing, but began shooting.
Students, staff and parents who were inside Thornridge High School initially didn't even know that a shooting had happened a block away. They were inside the gym watching Thornridge take on Thornwood in a basketball game.
Seven police officers were assigned to the school during the game, and one said that is why the victims ran there after being shot, hoping for help.
"From what we're hearing from the witnesses, no words were exchanged. Subject began firing, fired five or six shots at the group. The groups scattered in different directions with two subjects running back to Thornridge High School where a basketball game was occurring in the gym," said Chief John Franklin, Dolton Police Department.
"I seen the man, he was laying out on the ground, I was with my friends and they were like, man he look like he just got shot. So he came up to the door like, man, I just got shot," said Masoni Bolton, Thornridge High School student.
A 20-year-old is in stable condition right now. A 17-year-old was taken away by paramedics in critical condition.
The police chief told Eyewitness News that neither victim is a current student here at Thornridge, and neither attended the basketball game.
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemo 5 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Video: Yelp reviews: Phony or Real?
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train 9 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns 16 min ago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Opening statements begin in general's sex trial
- Blind man survives track fall as LA train arrives
- Go offline for National Day of Unplugging 35 min ago