$2.5M bond set for Kenneth Bardlett, accused of killing Bensenville clerk Hussein Saghir
February 12, 2014 (BENSENVILLE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Bond was set at $2.5 million Wednesday for a Bellwood man accused of murdering Bensenville store clerk Hussein Saghir.
Prosecutors say although Kenneth Bardlett, 20, was not the triggerman, he was involved in the crime and has admitted to it.
Bardlett was charged with first degree murder and attempted armed robbery in connection with the shooting death of Hussein Saghir at Sam's Tobacco and Food Mart on January 19.
36-year-old Hussein Saghir was fatally shot during the botched robbery. At the time, Saghir was closing the shop for the evening with his brother.
Surveillance video caught the entire crime, showing two men trying to force the brothers back into the store. Prosecutors say Saghir refused to go back into the store because his 3-year-old nephew was inside.
Saghir's family welcomed news of the arrest, thanking investigators. They released a statement that said, in part: "We urge the public to remember that the triggerman remains free and we are pleading to anyone with information to please come forward and contact Bensenville police."
Bardlett has a criminal record and allegedly confessed to being one of the robbers on the surveillance tape, but his cousin, Andrea George, told reporters Wednesday morning that she believes he didn't do it.
''I don't think Kenneth admitted to anything he didn't do so therefore I don't know about that,'' George said.
Police were tight-lipped about whether they are close to making another arrest, and how they tracked down Bardlett.
"Very difficult for me to get into this information because it's still an ongoing investigation and we don't want to jeopardize it," said Chief Frank Kosman, Bensenville Police Department.
A $10,000 cash reward is being offered in the case. The Bensenville store remains closed.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 17 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57 55 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Teacher's aide posed as teen to meet girls online 24 min ago
- CTA Green Line service halted, officials say 38 min ago
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend 57 min ago
- Dog rescue underway at Lake Michigan 8 min ago
- Foreign military mission barred from Crimea 19 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD