Girl's ex-counselor accused in Woodfield Mall sex assault
February 12, 2014 (SCHAUMBURG, Ill.) (WLS) -- A Waukegan man has been charged with having a sexual relationship with a teenage girl who he previously counseled.
The two met when the girl, who is a ward of the state, was living at the Allendale Associates group home in North Chicago. The suspect, Kelvin Perry, 51, is a unit coordinator there, the equivalent of a team leader, according the executive director. Prosecutors say after becoming friendly with the girl, 16, she left and the two stayed in contact through cell phone conversations and text messages, some of which prosecutors say were erotic in nature.
Schaumburg police say Sunday Perry arranged to meet the girl in the parking lot at Woodfield Mall. Her foster mother dropped her off there. Police say the alleged victim told them they had sex in his car.
Prosecutors allege Perry also had sex at the girl's foster home in Palatine last month. They have charged him with two counts of sexual assault and two counts of aggravated sexual abuse. The judge set bond at $250,000.
Prosecutors say they believe the sexual relationship began after the girl moved out of the North Chicago facility. The executive director said, "it's devastating. We're concerned about the girl... and trying to look at how this could happen."
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State 32 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL 29 min ago
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse 35 min ago
- $7 million shoplifting suspects face detention hearing 19 min ago
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death 5 min ago
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- California earthquake centered in Eureka measures 6.9 magnitude
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- 7 in :77