Romeoville shooting injures mom, daughter
February 13, 2014 (ROMEOVILLE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Four people are questioned in the shooting of a woman and her daughter in southwest suburban Romeoville, police say.
No charges have been filed in what appears to be a targeted attack. Police have not released a motive or said if the suspected shooter is one of those "persons of interest" being questioned.
"There was one shooter, and he was by himself. The other individuals, we're not sure what part they may have played in the incident," Chief Mark Turkey, Romeoville Police Department, said.
Police said the gunman opened fire as the woman, 33, and her daughter, 15, got into an SUV around 7 a.m. Thursday in the 300-block of Emery Avenue. Witnesses said a man fired two or three shots into the vehicle.
''I heard two gunshots, and I opened up my back door to look out, and I heard somebody screaming, and I ran out the front door and I saw her getting out of the driver's side, and she was holding her chest. So I ran over there, and she just had blood pouring out,'' said Brian Corban, the victim's neighbor.
Police say the suspect fled the scene on foot. Romeoville schools were on soft lockdown for several hours before being allowed back in the school around 10 a.m.
Neighbors say the family was new to the area. Both mother and daughter remain hospitalized in serious condition.
local, evelyn holmes
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos