Romeoville shooting injures mom, daughter
February 13, 2014 (ROMEOVILLE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Four people are questioned in the shooting of a woman and her daughter in southwest suburban Romeoville, police say.
No charges have been filed in what appears to be a targeted attack. Police have not released a motive or said if the suspected shooter is one of those "persons of interest" being questioned.
"There was one shooter, and he was by himself. The other individuals, we're not sure what part they may have played in the incident," Chief Mark Turkey, Romeoville Police Department, said.
Police said the gunman opened fire as the woman, 33, and her daughter, 15, got into an SUV around 7 a.m. Thursday in the 300-block of Emery Avenue. Witnesses said a man fired two or three shots into the vehicle.
''I heard two gunshots, and I opened up my back door to look out, and I heard somebody screaming, and I ran out the front door and I saw her getting out of the driver's side, and she was holding her chest. So I ran over there, and she just had blood pouring out,'' said Brian Corban, the victim's neighbor.
Police say the suspect fled the scene on foot. Romeoville schools were on soft lockdown for several hours before being allowed back in the school around 10 a.m.
Neighbors say the family was new to the area. Both mother and daughter remain hospitalized in serious condition.
local, evelyn holmes
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop 31 min ago
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw 32 min ago
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore 57 min ago
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later 56 min ago
- Ohio Turnpike crash kills 3; Victims ID'd
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Quinn makes 1st public event since controversial audit
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains 7 min ago
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West...
31 min ago
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
32 min ago
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for...
2 min ago