Flooding possible with warm up on the way
February 16, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- With a warm up on the way in the Chicago area we will be on flood watch in a few days and in fact, some people living in areas frequently hit by flood waters are already worried.
This week will bring the area the warmest weather in almost a month, and that could lead to some localized flooding. The wildcard in that is the rain expected on Thursday.
The ice dam on Ken Wilson's house is awesome. But he would like it to go away, and perhaps this week, some of it will.
"Hopefully it'll go away, but I heard another weather storm is coming so who knows?" he said.
Of greater concern to Wilson is what's out back of his Lincolnshire home. The Des Plaines River is a picture of tranquility Sunday, but is about to be fed by warmth.
This neighborhood had flooding last April, and they're not keen on a repeat. The temperatures in the 40's ahead will not make for a rapid melt, but Thursday will present rain as well, and that could mean some localized flooding.
"The greater amount of rain we get the less will be absorbed, and then the problem is we have such a deep frost depth right now that rain won't absorb into the ground so it'll immediately turn to run-off," Matt Friedlein, National Weather Service.
Public works crews will be busy this week making sure the run-off has a place to run to, in streets and parking lots where the monuments to winter will slowly shrink.
"You would choose melting as opposed to more snow, I presume," Stephanie Paulsen said. "Absolutely melting. I'm ready for spring. I've been ready the last two months."
But dare not say the "melt" word to the snowmobilers of Fox Lake where this winter has been one of the best ever.
Let it not end, they would say, and it won't for a while, because the ice here is two feet thick. So a few days above freezing? No big deal.
"As long as we get more snow, we'll take the warmth for a little while, but snow, snow, snow," said Jackie Kelly.
That wish for snow, snow, snow will be granted Monday, then the warm-up, then the rain, then the chill returns once again.
local, paul meincke
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway 52 min ago
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case 52 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 30 min ago
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River 18 min ago
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass 58 min ago
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home