Pravin Varughese found dead; Missing SIU student from Morton Grove
February 18, 2014 (CARBONDALE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Pravin Varughese, a Southern Illinois University student reported missing last week, was found dead in Carbondale, Illinois.
The 19-year-old's body was found Tuesday in a wooded area along the 1400-block of East Main Street, according to the Carbondale Police Department.
Police said that Pravin was last seen in the area of the 600 block of West College Street at approximately 11:00 p.m. on February 13.
"Investigators learned while on West College Street Pravin accepted a ride from a recent acquaintance on February 12, 2014, just before midnight. Following a dispute, Pravin exited the vehicle in the 1400 block of East Main Street and fled into the wooded area," said Chief Jody O'Guin, Carbondale Police Department.
Police say that person did not come forward until Monday. Still, they see no signs of foul play.
"There were no obvious signs of trauma that would be caused by any suspicious means of any kind of altercation. So no outward signs we were able to see," said O'Guin.
Pravin's exact cause of death is still being investigated by the Jackson County Coroner's office.
"The difficult terrain and low temperatures are believes to have contributed to Pravin's difficulty finding his way out of the wooded area," said Chief O'Guin.
"This is a moment of unimaginable sorrow for the entire SIU community, our thoughts are with Pravin's family and all those who mourn his loss," said Rae Goldsmith, Southern Illinois University.
SIU student government tweeted, "The Saluki family lost one of its own today. Keep Pravin Varughese's family and friends in your thoughts and prayers. #RIPPravin"
SIU's Pi Sigma Epsilon AB chapter tweeted, "Today we lost a brother, a member, and a friend. R.I.P. Dev. You will always be family to us and forever in our hearts."
Varughese is from northwest suburban Morton Grove. His family offered a $15,000 reward.
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home