Multi-vehicle crash on I-57 near Peotone injures 12
February 20, 2014 (PEOTONE, Ill.) (WLS) -- As many as 20 vehicles were involved in a fiery pile-up that stretched for miles on I-57 near Peotone. Authorities say low visibility caused by dense fog was a factor.
Peotone authorities said 12 people were injured, but all of them are expected to survive. On Thursday afternoon, five accidents were reported in the northbound lanes of I-57 near Peotone, and two in the southbound lanes.
Thick smoke billowed and flames engulfed a semi Thursday afternoon. Rescuers hustled to the scene on northbound I-57 near Peotone, but it was difficult.
"The emergency responders couldn't get to that accident because it was sandwiched in. then after that there was another accident and it kept going like that for miles," said Ken Bialek.
Emergency crews brought in extrication equipment and requested heavy cranes. Ken Bialek took pictures of the fiery crash.
"Then the big semi was on fire, and none of the emergency responders could get to them because that was sandwiched all in, so it was just burning there," said Ken Bialek. Bialek's wife, Lindsey, was driving in another car.
"It was pretty foggy. I know that picture looks pretty clear, but you couldn't see very well until you got up to it," said Lindsey Bialek.
Drivers reported clusters of accidents along the stretch, forcing state police to close a six-mile stretch of the road for hours.
"Unfortunately, you couldn't see, and that was probably the main reason and the culprit to this whole situation," said Chief Bill Schreiber, Peotone Fire District.
"Accidents and a bunch of cars just couldn't get through so everyone's just sitting around and trying to pull over to the side, and then more accidents. Then everyone would stop and they'd just start running into the back of them," said Ken Bialek.
All lanes of I-57 are reopened in Peotone as of 9 p.m.
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos