Oak Park, River Forest residents warned about attempted abductions
February 20, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Residents in Chicago's western suburbs were put on alert after multiple attempted abductions involving children blocks were reported nearby each other.
The most recent attempted abduction happened Wednesday morning in Oak Park. Police say a similar incident occurred in nearby River Forest last Friday.
Students left Julian Middle School for the day with reminders from parents and school staff about stranger danger. At least three middle school students in the area have reported being approached by strangers in the last three weeks. The latest was Wednesday morning outside Julian. District officials notified parents immediately.
''My son texts me every day when he gets to school, it's like crazy. It makes you a little uncomfortable,'' said parent Roxanne Arnieri.
School officials say they teach stranger danger tactics to all students at least twice a year. And the student, who says a man tried to lure her into his dark blue minivan yesterday, did just what they teach. She ran into the school and reported the incident to the school's security officer.
This incident comes on the heels of what police believe was a similar one last week involving a different suspect. He followed and approached the same Roosevelt Middle School student three days last week in River Forest offering her a ride. She refused and reported it to the school.
In January, a student at Irving Elementary in Oak Park told school officials a man pulled up to her near the school and offered her candy. IIt's enough to make parents with kids in nearby schools concerned.
''They follow a child that they think will possibly get into a car with them. That's the scary part, it's not about any specific area,'' said parent Amy McIntosh,
Police in both Oak Park and River Forest said that both of these cases, the most recent one's, are still under investigation. They have not identified suspects in either of those cases.
local, john garcia
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side 2 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute 27 min ago
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Tinley Park hosts St. Patrick's Day parade
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party 51 min ago
- Ford Motor leader William Clay Ford dead
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos