Person of interest in custody in Park Ridge Amber Alert day after boy, Drake Whitker, 5, found safe
February 21, 2014 (PARK RIDGE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A person of interest is in custody in connection to an Amber Alert that was canceled after Drake Whitker, 5, was found safe, Park Ridge police said.
Police would only say they have a person of interest in custody on Friday morning. Charges have not been filed.
Drake's mother was unloading packages from the family's car Thursday afternoon when the vehicle was carjacked with the 5-year-old boy inside. Drake was asleep in the back seat.
Park Ridge police issued the Amber Alert at 12:20 p.m. Thursday for a white 2012 Audi Q5. Drake was located still inside the vehicle about two hours later in Skokie. He was not harmed.
The boy and his mother were reunited at the Skokie police station.
"Immediately when we found out [he was safe] we put them in touch with each other via cell phone," Kaminski said during a brief press conference held at Park Ridge City Hall less than an hour after Drake was located. "They began talking to each other and from what I heard from the officers they started talking about what's for dinner tonight, which movies they were going to watch and the child appeared to be in good spirits."
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 6 shot at Austin party 34 min ago
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Ford Motor leader William Clay Ford dead 47 min ago
- Medical marijuana law poses workplace dilemma
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Illinois halts plan to require ATV permits
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Video: Newsviews - Tom Cross 33 min ago
- Video: Newsviews - Bob Grogan
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds 50 min ago
- Newsviews - Tom Cross
33 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos