Mom's frantic 911 call released in Park Ridge kidnapping
February 26, 2014 (PARK RIDGE, Ill.) (WLS) -- ABC7 has obtained a copy of the 911 call a frantic mother made after a carjacker drove off with her 5-year-old son in the back seat.
Police say Deangelo Fountain, 18, a student at Metro Prep in Arlington Heights, is charged with aggravated vehicular hijacking, aggravated kidnapping and possessing a stolen vehicle after the February 20 incident.
The boy's step father, Tony Riley, says the five-year-old boy, Drake Whitaker, is doing very well and managed to sleep through the most traumatic parts of the ordeal. He also says both he and his wife have discussed what happened with the five-year-old.
Last week, 18-year-old Deangelo Fountain stole a running car out of the driveway with the boy asleep in the back seat. Riley credits police and citizens who helped track him down in just two hours in Skokie. The incident began more ominously when the mother called 911.
In the 911 call, the boy's mother screams, "My baby!" repeatedly while apparently running down the street after the stolen car as she tries to give the dispatcher details, telling the operator the car was headed toward Northwest Highway with a black man behind the wheel. She eventually finds a neighbor who takes the phone and tries to give the dispatcher more details as the mother can still be heard yelling in the background. The mother tells the neighbor she does not know her license plate number.
The 5-year-old's mother, who is eight weeks pregnant, was scheduled to have an ultrasound the day her son was kidnapped. Doctors were concerned about her health in the wake of the incident.
Riley says he and his wife have not listened to the tapes. At this point they are just trying to get past it.
''That was easily the most terrifying moment in my wife's life, it's painful,'' he said.
Police were able to find suspect Deangelo Fountain 10 hours after the kidnapping. The 18-year-old is a high school student and is being held without bond.
Fountain is charged with aggravated kidnapping and carjacking. Police say he has given a signed confession.
local, john garcia
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 51 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy 42 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines reports plane missing 7 min ago
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North 3 min ago
- CFD vehicle involved in South Side crash
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Woman accused of stealing credit cards from Loop gym
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
49 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift...
51 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
42 min ago