2 staffers removed from Rogers Park's Jordan Elementary for alleged misconduct
September 12, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Two staff members have been removed from a school on Chicago's North Side because of misconduct allegations.
Jordan Elementary Community School is in turmoil after allegations of misconduct force the removal of a teacher and an assistant principal.
"I've heard it's a second grade teacher and it's scaring the crap out of me because my child's in second grade," said Yolanda Shanklin, parent.
Shanklin says she and other parents learned about the investigation into the incident from school officials. Parents say the school's principal told them Thursday morning that two female staffers, a 2nd grade teacher and an assistant principal, were taken out of the building Wednesday night for alleged inappropriate conduct with minors.
"I couldn't believe it. Oh my god, this is impossible. She's the best, one of the best," said China Davis, parent.
Ruth Longsworth said she first heard rumors about inappropriate touching, language and texting this past May during last school year. That's when she says she confronted both the teacher allegedly involved and the principal.
"He told me there was an investigation done and the allegations were false. I left it alone because I felt I worked within the school system to raise my concerns," said Ruth Longsworth, parent.
In a statement Chicago Public School officials said, "CPS is reassigning both employees away from the classroom pending the outcome of our investigation."
That's not good enough for parents like this woman, who is now considering moving her 8-year-old son to another school.
"These teachers should have been removed from the school. They should not have still had access to our children in no form or fashion," said a parent who did not wish to be identified by name.
School officials will only confirm the removal of the two female staffers. They would not discuss the details of the allegations or the investigation.
chicago schools, chicago news
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 32 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago 54 min ago
- Obama: 2014 can be 'breakthrough year' for US
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing
- Horse escapes, gallops down Old Town streets
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Briggs' status still up in air for Bears
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
32 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
54 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos