Man killed in construction accident in Englewood
September 12, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A man was killed when he was caught under a piece of heavy machinery at a construction site in Chicago's Englewood neighborhood.
The accident happened in the 6200-block of South May Street just before 1 p.m. It isn't clear what kind of machine it is, but officials say it's used to break up concrete and the 48-year-old man somehow got pulled underneath it. He was pronounced dead on the scene.
Witnesses said the man apparently fell under or was pulled under a recycling machine for paving. He was crushed to death.
Police and paramedics responded quickly, but there was little they could do. The victim's body was taken to the Medical Examiner's office. They have not yet notified all of his family, so they are not releasing his name.
Friends, however, say that he was married with children, and cared very much about his family.
"He was a good family man," said friend and co-worker William Hobbel. "Good worker, very happy person, extremely happy. I've known him for 17 years, we've been working together doing this type of work in construction."
The victim worked for subcontractor GA Construction, based in west suburban Bellwood. The owner of the company, who was on the scene earlier, described the victim as a very good man who had been with the company for a number of years.
chicago news, john garcia
- Boy, 13, describes Aurora home invasion
- Ga lottery winner claims Mega Millions prize
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks
- Durbin presses regulators to prevent tanker tragedies
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus