Man killed in construction accident in Englewood
September 12, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A man was killed when he was caught under a piece of heavy machinery at a construction site in Chicago's Englewood neighborhood.
The accident happened in the 6200-block of South May Street just before 1 p.m. It isn't clear what kind of machine it is, but officials say it's used to break up concrete and the 48-year-old man somehow got pulled underneath it. He was pronounced dead on the scene.
Witnesses said the man apparently fell under or was pulled under a recycling machine for paving. He was crushed to death.
Police and paramedics responded quickly, but there was little they could do. The victim's body was taken to the Medical Examiner's office. They have not yet notified all of his family, so they are not releasing his name.
Friends, however, say that he was married with children, and cared very much about his family.
"He was a good family man," said friend and co-worker William Hobbel. "Good worker, very happy person, extremely happy. I've known him for 17 years, we've been working together doing this type of work in construction."
The victim worked for subcontractor GA Construction, based in west suburban Bellwood. The owner of the company, who was on the scene earlier, described the victim as a very good man who had been with the company for a number of years.
chicago news, john garcia
- Police chase, standoff closes LSD for hours 1 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery 37 min ago
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- GOP gubernatorial candidates make last campaign push
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Calif. billionaire buys record life insurance policy
- Photos: St. Patrick's Day in Chicago
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans 54 min ago