Man rescued from Lake Michigan near Rogers Park
September 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 41-year-old man was pulled to safety from the rough waters of Lake Michigan at the Rogers Park Beach break wall in the early morning hours.
Emergency rescue crews arrived around 2 a.m. Friday. A rip current and high wave warning was in effect.
"We were surprised to find him he was clinging on to a wall. About as far as we expected the way the buildings are set up there's private access we had to climb some fences and jump around to and go to each yard and see if we could find him eventually we did find him," Glenn Polanek, Chicago Police Department, said.
Officials said the man was at Rogers Park Beach around 1:30 a.m. when a dog jumped in the water. He and another man jumped in to save the dog. When the 41-year old wasn't able to get out of the water, the second man called 911.
"After 20 minutes of searching for the man, one of the officers was able to spot him and hold him while other officers responded. And we were all able to pull him out of the water and bring him to safety and pass him off to the ambulance to take him to the hospital for observation," Polanek said.
The victim, who is visiting Chicago from Missouri, was treated and released at St. Francis Hospital. The dog was not injured.
The rip current and high wave warning, issued by the National Weather Service, remains in effect until Saturday morning.
chicago news, jason knowles
- Bitter cold expected to last through the weekend 29 min ago
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held 30 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 20 min ago
- Northern Illinois Huskies fall to Bowling Green 47-27 23 min ago
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found
- Vigil held for Khaseem Greene's cousin killed in NJ
- Blackhawks championship ring offered in raffle
- Family: Boy, 6, suffers post-traumatic stress after shooting 46 min ago
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next tanker tragedy
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
20 min ago
- Bitter cold expected to last through the...
29 min ago
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open,...
30 min ago
- The Ditka you didn't know
38 min ago