Stanley Cup Millennium Park event lets fans take pictures
September 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Some Chicago Blackhawks fans liken it to a religious experience -- the meeting of Lord Stanley's Cup, and spending a few moments alone with it.
"That was awesome!" James Henderson said.
Henderson was one of hundreds of Hawks fans who lined up to see the Stanley Cup at Millennium Park in downtown Chicago on Wednesday.
"We did this in 2010 on Daley Plaza in the summer and we had folks drive in from Rockford, Springfield, Peoria all over the Midwest," David Kennedy, Chicago Cultural Affairs and Special Events, said.
Many fans were at Millennium Park were there before the sun came up. Dan Baker arrived at 5 a.m. with his two daughters.
"This is my one wish before I die, just to get a picture with the Stanley Cup. So this will be going up on the living room wall," Dan Baker said.
Ed Stryczuk drove from Montgomery, Ill.
"Being a hockey fan and playing hockey, I mean, as a kid you always dream about being next to the Stanley cup or being with the Stanley cup, so just to be there and be next to it is just the thrill of a lifetime," Stryczuk said.
Sandy Clark is still celebrating the Blackhawks win.
"I think that Chicago is alive with that all summer long," she said. "Chicago likes championships.
Millions turned out to watch the 2013 Stanley cup champion Blackhawks parade and rally through downtown on June 28, 2013.
chicago news, jessica d'onofrio
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 18 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- 7 in :77
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
18 min ago