Stanley Cup Millennium Park event lets fans take pictures
September 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Some Chicago Blackhawks fans liken it to a religious experience -- the meeting of Lord Stanley's Cup, and spending a few moments alone with it.
"That was awesome!" James Henderson said.
Henderson was one of hundreds of Hawks fans who lined up to see the Stanley Cup at Millennium Park in downtown Chicago on Wednesday.
"We did this in 2010 on Daley Plaza in the summer and we had folks drive in from Rockford, Springfield, Peoria all over the Midwest," David Kennedy, Chicago Cultural Affairs and Special Events, said.
Many fans were at Millennium Park were there before the sun came up. Dan Baker arrived at 5 a.m. with his two daughters.
"This is my one wish before I die, just to get a picture with the Stanley Cup. So this will be going up on the living room wall," Dan Baker said.
Ed Stryczuk drove from Montgomery, Ill.
"Being a hockey fan and playing hockey, I mean, as a kid you always dream about being next to the Stanley cup or being with the Stanley cup, so just to be there and be next to it is just the thrill of a lifetime," Stryczuk said.
Sandy Clark is still celebrating the Blackhawks win.
"I think that Chicago is alive with that all summer long," she said. "Chicago likes championships.
Millions turned out to watch the 2013 Stanley cup champion Blackhawks parade and rally through downtown on June 28, 2013.
chicago news, jessica d'onofrio
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly 8 min ago
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run 3 min ago
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 40 min ago
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street 12 min ago
- Meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- Skill Champ app designed for children with autism
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping
- Chicago boy remembered 1 year after suspicious death
- Lyons residents respond to police cuts
- Growing Problem: Stolen Smart Phones 51 min ago
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos