Stanley Cup Millennium Park event lets fans take pictures
September 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Some Chicago Blackhawks fans liken it to a religious experience -- the meeting of Lord Stanley's Cup, and spending a few moments alone with it.
"That was awesome!" James Henderson said.
Henderson was one of hundreds of Hawks fans who lined up to see the Stanley Cup at Millennium Park in downtown Chicago on Wednesday.
"We did this in 2010 on Daley Plaza in the summer and we had folks drive in from Rockford, Springfield, Peoria all over the Midwest," David Kennedy, Chicago Cultural Affairs and Special Events, said.
Many fans were at Millennium Park were there before the sun came up. Dan Baker arrived at 5 a.m. with his two daughters.
"This is my one wish before I die, just to get a picture with the Stanley Cup. So this will be going up on the living room wall," Dan Baker said.
Ed Stryczuk drove from Montgomery, Ill.
"Being a hockey fan and playing hockey, I mean, as a kid you always dream about being next to the Stanley cup or being with the Stanley cup, so just to be there and be next to it is just the thrill of a lifetime," Stryczuk said.
Sandy Clark is still celebrating the Blackhawks win.
"I think that Chicago is alive with that all summer long," she said. "Chicago likes championships.
Millions turned out to watch the 2013 Stanley cup champion Blackhawks parade and rally through downtown on June 28, 2013.
chicago news, jessica d'onofrio
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Metra train fatally hits man on NW Side 6 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock 3 min ago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Ill. communities spurring renewable energy 52 min ago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Opening statements begin in general's sex trial
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather 59 min ago
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant 49 min ago
- 7 in :77