Walter Payton Prep expansion planned at $17M
September 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced a $17 million expansion of Walter Payton College Prep, a selective-enrollment school on North Wells that accepts students based on their academic performance.
The expansion will allow the school to take an additional 300 to 400 children.
The mayor has announced new school projects each day this week despite a budget deficit and the closing of nearly 50 schools. He says the Payton project will be paid with tax increment financing money.
"It is in our interest that every child that has the potential to get into a selective enrollment school should not be rejected," Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said.
"There needs to be a solution like a TIFsurplus declared so that all schools benefit, all schools have resources," Jackson Potter, Chicago Teachers Union, said.
The mayor says this is about giving parents choices. He calls the expansion the "right thing" to do.
- Grand Blue Line stop closed by water main break 14 min ago
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 12 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum 49 min ago
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime 33 min ago
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Gay marriage at center of 81st District GOP race
- Larkin High School poms squad honored 50 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day 51 min ago
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Some IL concealed carry applicants notified...
43 min ago