Walter Payton Prep expansion planned at $17M
September 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced a $17 million expansion of Walter Payton College Prep, a selective-enrollment school on North Wells that accepts students based on their academic performance.
The expansion will allow the school to take an additional 300 to 400 children.
The mayor has announced new school projects each day this week despite a budget deficit and the closing of nearly 50 schools. He says the Payton project will be paid with tax increment financing money.
"It is in our interest that every child that has the potential to get into a selective enrollment school should not be rejected," Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said.
"There needs to be a solution like a TIFsurplus declared so that all schools benefit, all schools have resources," Jackson Potter, Chicago Teachers Union, said.
The mayor says this is about giving parents choices. He calls the expansion the "right thing" to do.
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates