Girl, 2, fatally struck by car in Englewood
September 20, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- No charges have been filed in the hit-and-run crash Friday morning that killed a toddler near West 57th and South Morgan.
Ja'mya Love, 2, was initially transported to Comer Children's Hospital in "extremely" critical condition around 6:30 a.m. and was pronounced dead at 7 a.m.Ja'mya's great grandmother was taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County, police said. Her condition was "not serious, but she's emotionally distraught," police News Affairs Officer John Mirabelli said.
The driver of the car was being questioned as detectives continued to investigate the cause of the crash, Mirabelli said.
"She died in my arms. There was nothing I could do," said Pamela Thompson, victim's great grandmother. "He just came out of nowhere."
Thompson was taking the toddler to day care. She was pushing the stroller with Ja'mya and was holding her hand as they crossed the street. That's when Thompson says she saw a 1999 Chrysler Concorde, heading northbound, come right at them after blowing through a stop sign.
"She was all folded over... full of blood," Thompson said.
After striking the child, witnesses say the car's 27-year-old driver kept going -- hitting some construction barricades before slamming into two parked vehicles, including a pickup truck.
Investigators are looking into whether alcohol was a factor in the crash.
"That's our life's joy... it's hard. She's gone," said Margaret Harris, victim's grandmother.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 45 min ago
- Brief warm-up followed by snow 44 min ago
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 42 min ago
- Cops: Sober man testing vehicle breathalyzer causes crash
- Mundelein girl in court again after half-sister's murder
- Cocaine stash found in Aurora man's home 27 min ago
- 2 accused of videotaping abuse at nursing home 2 min ago
- Pi Day celebrated on 3.14 with Chicago specials
- Photos: Chicago police officer killed in crash
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- Northwestern University unveils $3.75B campaign
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
42 min ago
- 7 in 77
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
45 min ago