Girl, 2, fatally struck by car in Englewood
September 20, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- No charges have been filed in the hit-and-run crash Friday morning that killed a toddler near West 57th and South Morgan.
Ja'mya Love, 2, was initially transported to Comer Children's Hospital in "extremely" critical condition around 6:30 a.m. and was pronounced dead at 7 a.m.Ja'mya's great grandmother was taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County, police said. Her condition was "not serious, but she's emotionally distraught," police News Affairs Officer John Mirabelli said.
The driver of the car was being questioned as detectives continued to investigate the cause of the crash, Mirabelli said.
"She died in my arms. There was nothing I could do," said Pamela Thompson, victim's great grandmother. "He just came out of nowhere."
Thompson was taking the toddler to day care. She was pushing the stroller with Ja'mya and was holding her hand as they crossed the street. That's when Thompson says she saw a 1999 Chrysler Concorde, heading northbound, come right at them after blowing through a stop sign.
"She was all folded over... full of blood," Thompson said.
After striking the child, witnesses say the car's 27-year-old driver kept going -- hitting some construction barricades before slamming into two parked vehicles, including a pickup truck.
Investigators are looking into whether alcohol was a factor in the crash.
"That's our life's joy... it's hard. She's gone," said Margaret Harris, victim's grandmother.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Van driver dies after fiery CTA bus crash
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- Chicago Bulls fall to Wizards 101-99 in OT
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage
- 1957 murder convict Jack McCullough files appeal
- Photos: Van driver dies after CTA bus crash in...
- Missouri execution carried out after 1993 murder of couple over...
- Photos: "That happened how?" Bizarre mix-ups 33 min ago
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
- 7 in :77
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos