Girl, 2, fatally struck by car in Englewood
September 20, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- No charges have been filed in the hit-and-run crash Friday morning that killed a toddler near West 57th and South Morgan.
Ja'mya Love, 2, was initially transported to Comer Children's Hospital in "extremely" critical condition around 6:30 a.m. and was pronounced dead at 7 a.m.Ja'mya's great grandmother was taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County, police said. Her condition was "not serious, but she's emotionally distraught," police News Affairs Officer John Mirabelli said.
The driver of the car was being questioned as detectives continued to investigate the cause of the crash, Mirabelli said.
"She died in my arms. There was nothing I could do," said Pamela Thompson, victim's great grandmother. "He just came out of nowhere."
Thompson was taking the toddler to day care. She was pushing the stroller with Ja'mya and was holding her hand as they crossed the street. That's when Thompson says she saw a 1999 Chrysler Concorde, heading northbound, come right at them after blowing through a stop sign.
"She was all folded over... full of blood," Thompson said.
After striking the child, witnesses say the car's 27-year-old driver kept going -- hitting some construction barricades before slamming into two parked vehicles, including a pickup truck.
Investigators are looking into whether alcohol was a factor in the crash.
"That's our life's joy... it's hard. She's gone," said Margaret Harris, victim's grandmother.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Teen dead after car chase and shooting
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue
- South Korea ferry captain, 2 crew members arrested
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Police: 2 males found dead in South Side residence 24 min ago
- Woman dies after being rescued from Lake Michigan
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake