Woman hurt by falling tree talks about ordeal
September 22, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A woman who was hurt when part of a large tree fell on her is talking about the ordeal.
"It happened so fast, I didn't have time to be afraid," Bernice Packer said.
Packer says she had just about finished cleaning leaves out of a drain when the tree snapped and knocked her down.
She was hit on the right side of her head and her arm.
A neighbor told her to stay put and called for help.
"Lately I notice it was real rotted, and some of the neighbors said they had been trying to get the city to cut it down, but they weren't successful," said Packer.
Packer says she knew the tree would come down at some point, but she thought a storm would blow it over.
She spent five hours at the hospital but is just swollen and sore Sunday.
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash
- Malaysia jet may have turned back 58 min ago
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 6 shot at party in Austin
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal 2 min ago
- Ford Motor leader William Clay Ford dead 16 min ago
- Medical marijuana law poses workplace dilemma 43 min ago
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Illinois halts plan to require ATV permits 52 min ago
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Video: Newsviews - Tom Cross
- Video: Newsviews - Bob Grogan
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos