CTA: Ventra system may charge other credit cards
September 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- More and more people are switching over to the Ventra card to ride the CTA. Over 3 million taps have been recorded, but one customer has some words of advice for avoiding an extra charge.
Days before Lonnette Alexander started using the Ventra card to ride the CTA, a Ventra charge for a single fare of $2.25 appeared on her credit card statement.
She had the mysterious charge reversed, and later figured out it happened when she was on a crowded bus. Her backpack was hovering over a Ventra machine and inside her bag was the credit card with contactless technology.
"If it charges someone's card from them standing there, I think that's a problem," said Lonnette Alexander, CTA rider.
Unlike the current system, which is being phased out, Ventra is an open system where rides can be paid for either with Ventra cards or credit cards with contactless technology. The CTA says cards still need to come in contact with the card reader, and instances of machines reading more than one card you may have in your purse or wallet is rare.
"We encourage people to not lean against the card readers or stand hovering above the card readers because this is an open system and it will be able to detect any forms of contactless payment," said Lambrini Lukidis, CTA spokesperson.
Alexander has a Ventra card now, but she says she is going to take extra precautions to make sure her credit cards don't come in contact with the Ventra card reader.
"I would assume it's going to be efficient at some point, but my biggest concern is that they're charging my credit card without me swiping it," said Alexander.
A reminder from the CTA: You will no longer be able to reload Chicago Cards or buy new magnetic stripe cards starting October 7. Customers can continue to use those they already have- and the money that is on them- through November 15.
cta news, chicago news, karen jordan
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 3 min ago
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby 47 min ago
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 33 min ago
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to Elgin school 44 min ago
- Block 37 developer indicted on federal fraud charges 7 min ago
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs 55 min ago
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice 14 min ago
- Rally held to support CTA program that helps ex-convicts 24 min ago
- Metra Rock Island train hits car on South Side
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Coyote attacks on small dogs reported in Wheaton
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
33 min ago
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to...
44 min ago
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
3 min ago
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim...
14 min ago