MacArthur genius grant awarded to Tarell McCraney of Chicago's Steppenwolf Theatre
September 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A playwright with strong ties to Chicago's Steppenwolf Theatre is receiving a "genius grant" from the MacArthur Foundation.
Tarell Alvin McCraney is awarded $625,000 to spend any way he wants.
McCraney has degrees from DePaul and Yale and joined the Steppenwolf ensemble in 2010. He also has had numerous plays staged at that theater.
The writer's work explores the African-American experience of ordinary people who do extraordinary things.
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3 9 min ago
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 39 min ago
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player 52 min ago
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Naperville votes to allow MMA fights, with restrictions 42 min ago
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children 24 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks 49 min ago
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- CPS to convert Logan Square school into military academy 52 min ago
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
39 min ago
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
9 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without...
49 min ago
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from...
52 min ago