MacArthur genius grant awarded to Tarell McCraney of Chicago's Steppenwolf Theatre
September 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A playwright with strong ties to Chicago's Steppenwolf Theatre is receiving a "genius grant" from the MacArthur Foundation.
Tarell Alvin McCraney is awarded $625,000 to spend any way he wants.
McCraney has degrees from DePaul and Yale and joined the Steppenwolf ensemble in 2010. He also has had numerous plays staged at that theater.
The writer's work explores the African-American experience of ordinary people who do extraordinary things.
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds