Student arrested for allegedly bringing gun to Urban Prep High School
September 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A student at Urban Prep on West 14th Place in Chicago was arrested for bringing a gun to school on Tuesday.
That student faces two felony gun charges. School officials told police the student may have had the gun for protection against gangs in the area. But multiple parents said they've heard the student may have been bullied.
The incident at the school is concerning to Urban Prep parents. "It's a good school. You have a lot of parents that are very caring and that are very into their children and wanting to make sure their kids are in a good and safe place," said Stephanie Royal, parent.
Police say they arrested 17-year-old Darnell Hamilton Tuesday at the school's west campus after administrators were told by a witness that Hamilton had a gun in his locker. Students say the school was placed on lockdown after a 9mm handgun and several bullets were found in the locker.
"I was very alarmed. And I just recognize that this is not just a problem at Urban Prep. We're seeing it now all over the country," said Angeline Dunn, parent.
Urban Prep has made national headlines because for the last four years 100 percent of graduating seniors have been accepted to college.
A statement released by the school said: "The safety and well-being of students is and always will be a primary concern for Urban Prep. A review of campus rules and safety protocols was provided to all West Campus students and employees to reiterate the seriousness of this type of situation."
"They notified us immediately, so the parents knew before the children were actually out of school that there was an issue," said Royal.
The student is being charged as an adult and is being held on $75,000 bond.
chicago news, eric horng
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 22 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands 52 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Joe McGinniss dies at 71 after cancer battle 21 min ago
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
22 min ago