Woman in critical condition after Chicago police shooting
September 27, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police shot a woman they say was pointing a gun at officers Thursday night in Pilsen. She is in critical condition.
The shooting occurred about 10:40 p.m. in the 1000 block of West 19th Street. Officers were responding to a call of a person with a gun on that block, according to a statement from the Chicago Police News Affairs office.
Officers watched the woman walk from the 1000-block of West Cullerton to the 1900-block of South Morgan before walking into an alley behind Cullerton, Fraternal Order of Police spokesman Pat Camden said. The officers drove into the alley and found the woman hiding behind a garbage can, Camden said. She came out and pointed a gun at the officers, he said. Police then fired, he said.
The woman was taken to the hospital in critical condition.
A BB gun that looked like a handgun was recovered from the scene.
chicago news, diane pathieu
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 33 min ago
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox 46 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds