Trial begins 2009 murder of police officer Alex Valadez; Kevin Walker, Christopher Harris accused
September 30, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- It was more than four years ago that Chicago police officer Alex Valadez was shot in the head, killed in the line of duty.
On Monday, two more of the suspects go on trial. Kevin Walker and Christopher Harris both face murder charges. Opening arguments began in their case around 11 a.m.
A third person, Shawn Gaston, is currently serving a 125-year prison sentence for his role in the crime. Valadez, 27, was shot and killed in the line of duty in Englewood while responding to a call of shots fired in 2009. He reportedly was questioning people when more gunfire erupted.
All three suspects are accused of firing shots at at other alleged gang members, but bullets hit the officer in the head and leg.
Valadez's death helped pass tougher laws against gang members caught with loaded weapons. The law mandates a prison sentence if a gang member is caught with an illegal gun. Cook Co. State's Attorney Anita Alvarez helped pass the law and is serving as the lead prosecutor in the case. She delivered opening arguments.
On Monday morning, the Valadez family along with some officers, walked into court, close together. They didn't speak to the media.
Both defendants will technically be tried together, in the same court room. But they have two separate juries.
chicago news, jason knowles
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap