Trial begins 2009 murder of police officer Alex Valadez; Kevin Walker, Christopher Harris accused
September 30, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- It was more than four years ago that Chicago police officer Alex Valadez was shot in the head, killed in the line of duty.
On Monday, two more of the suspects go on trial. Kevin Walker and Christopher Harris both face murder charges. Opening arguments began in their case around 11 a.m.
A third person, Shawn Gaston, is currently serving a 125-year prison sentence for his role in the crime. Valadez, 27, was shot and killed in the line of duty in Englewood while responding to a call of shots fired in 2009. He reportedly was questioning people when more gunfire erupted.
All three suspects are accused of firing shots at at other alleged gang members, but bullets hit the officer in the head and leg.
Valadez's death helped pass tougher laws against gang members caught with loaded weapons. The law mandates a prison sentence if a gang member is caught with an illegal gun. Cook Co. State's Attorney Anita Alvarez helped pass the law and is serving as the lead prosecutor in the case. She delivered opening arguments.
On Monday morning, the Valadez family along with some officers, walked into court, close together. They didn't speak to the media.
Both defendants will technically be tried together, in the same court room. But they have two separate juries.
chicago news, jason knowles
- Young girl killed by falling bookcase in Northbrook 48 min ago
- 3-year old killed in Rogers Park fire 9 min ago
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm 13 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed 23 min ago
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- Carly Rousso trial date set for fatal DUI crash
- Quarry to resume operations following McCook earthquake 47 min ago
- Chicago River to be dyed green this weekend despite ice
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase
- Political consultant hit by falling ice 33 min ago
- Bears terminate Julius Peppers contract
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- Starbucks to allow customers to tip via app 8 min ago
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm
13 min ago