Logan Square fire leaves families homeless, injures firefighter
October 8, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A firefighter was hurt, and nearly a dozen people were forced from their homes by a fire early Tuesday.
The fire started just before 1 a.m. Fire officials say it sparked inside the three-and-a-half story building in the 3200-block of West Wabansia then spread to at least two buildings next door.
One woman says she woke up to neighbors banging on her door, as the fire spread from home to home.
I was just asleep with my daughter and all of a sudden the fire started from next door. Did you smell smoke? There was a lot of racket. They were breaking into house next door. I turned around to the window and I saw flames. My daughter was next to the window. I just grabbed my daughter and ran out," said resident Jacqueline Uriostegui.
A firefighter who was experiencing chest pains was taken to St. Mary's Hospital in fair to serious condition, and a civilian was also injured and taken to a nearby hospital. That person was in fair to serious condition, as well.
The fire was extinguished by 3 a.m., and the American Red Cross was on the scene helping people displaced by the damage to stay warm and get replacements for any necessary medications.
Sadly, ABC7 Chicago also is told some household pets died in the fire.
The cause and origin of the fire remain under investigation.
chicago news, jessica d'onofrio
- CTA Red Line shooting injures passenger 5 min ago
- Girl sexually assaulted near Safe Passage route
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Police search for suspect in Valparaiso armed robberies
- Plane lands at O'Hare after reporting mechanical problem
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Reno hospital shooting on campus kills 2, including gunman
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Salvation Army feeds families, seniors in need in Chicago
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos