Lane Tech football player Drew Williams seriously injured during game
October 8, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Lane Tech star football player was hospitalized Tuesday night after being hurt during a game Friday. Drew Williams suffered serious injuries and was being treated at Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn.
Many Lane Tech football players were a bit distracted during practice on Tuesday evening.
They are concerned about their teammate, Drew Williams, who remains in the Intensive Care Unit after being taken away in an ambulance from Gately Stadium during their game Friday.
And while doctors are withholding information about the exact nature of his injuries, school board officials confirm Williams did recieve at least one hard hit during the game with Dunbar on Friday.
Though they say he showed no signs of distress initially, he removed himself from the game and eventually paramedics transported him to the hospital.
Schools CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett says she's been in touch with the family and issued a statement saying, "our thoughts are with the student and family during this difficult time."
Doctors have not said whether Williams suffered a concussion during the game, but that is a growing concern among medical personnel.
Dan Nicholson-- who suffered numerous concussions-- has developed a product that goes in a player's helmet and can help detect when there is a concussion, so the player can get immediate medical attention.
"If your brain's swollen they you put it into a helmet that's weighted, it's like a time bomb. It's really scary," said Dan Nicholson, HeadCaseCompany.com.
According to one of his coaches, Williams suffered seizures during the game before he was taken away in the ambulance. Williams plays wide receiver and safety, and also plays outfield for the baseball team. So many of his friends were coming to visit him in the hospital over the weekend, his doctors have now restricted his visitors to family only.
chicago news, john garcia
- 2 hurt in North Side crash 10 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- 6 shot at party in Austin 11 min ago
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side 50 min ago
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- PM won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land 50 min ago
- Interpol: Database not checked pre-Malaysia flight 26 min ago
- No consensus on notifying victims of data breaches
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- 2 hurt in North Side crash
10 min ago
- Daily Herald: Long-time Married Couples
58 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos