Father marathon run to honor daughter's surgery
October 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An Illinois man is running in the Chicago Marathon to honor his daughter's recovery from open heart surgery.
Last October little Serafina Murphy, who was only 22 months old at the time, underwent surgery at the Lurie Children's Hospital to fix a hole in her heart.
His wife took pictures of Serafina in the hospital and they quickly went viral.
As a way of thanking his daughter's surgical team, Sean Murphy will be running in Sunday's race.
"I joined the Lurie's marathon team to help raise these funds to give back to the hospital that, again, gave my daughter her life," Murphy said.
Murphy asked those who shared the picture of his daughter on the web, to donate money to his marathon goal.
Friday he is only $600 short of his $5,000 goal.
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds