Tribute for injured Lane Tech player, Drew Williams showing signs of improvement after brain injury
October 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A moving tribute during a high school football game for a badly injured player and Friday tonight the family of Drew Williams tells ABC 7 the hospitalized senior is showing signs of improvement. .
Teammates, coaches and others gathered before Friday night's football game at Lane Tech High School to honor Williams, who suffered a brain injury during last week's game.
Emotional moments ahead of Friday night lights at the historic high school in Roscoe Village.
The parents of high school senior Drew Williams accepted the prayers of a student body that has experienced the anxiety along with the family over the prognosis for a star football player felled last week during a game.
"He's part of the football team, which is a bit part of Lane," said student Jesus Nunez. "It's just terrible what happened to him, hopefully he gets through it."
"He's our fallen brother and as a family we have to be there for him and his family," student Anastasia Saavedra said.
The senior said he felt unwell during a game against Dunbar and was carted off the field. He was rushed to Christ Advocate Medical Center with a brain injury.
Friday evening his sister said that after several days in a coma drew is breathing on his own. But he is not out of the woods yet.
"Earlier (Friday) they had taken him off the ventilator and he took a few breaths on his own. They put him back on, and just a few hours ago they were able to take him entirely off the ventilator, and he is breathing on his own. However, he is still in a coma," Andrea Williams said.
The family is keeping vigil at the hospital, hoping perhaps the worst is behind them.
Drew Williams' coach said that the student suffered bleeding on the brain after taking a hit and surgeons have had to open his skull to relieve the pressure.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...