Tribute for injured Lane Tech player, Drew Williams showing signs of improvement after brain injury
October 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A moving tribute during a high school football game for a badly injured player and Friday tonight the family of Drew Williams tells ABC 7 the hospitalized senior is showing signs of improvement. .
Teammates, coaches and others gathered before Friday night's football game at Lane Tech High School to honor Williams, who suffered a brain injury during last week's game.
Emotional moments ahead of Friday night lights at the historic high school in Roscoe Village.
The parents of high school senior Drew Williams accepted the prayers of a student body that has experienced the anxiety along with the family over the prognosis for a star football player felled last week during a game.
"He's part of the football team, which is a bit part of Lane," said student Jesus Nunez. "It's just terrible what happened to him, hopefully he gets through it."
"He's our fallen brother and as a family we have to be there for him and his family," student Anastasia Saavedra said.
The senior said he felt unwell during a game against Dunbar and was carted off the field. He was rushed to Christ Advocate Medical Center with a brain injury.
Friday evening his sister said that after several days in a coma drew is breathing on his own. But he is not out of the woods yet.
"Earlier (Friday) they had taken him off the ventilator and he took a few breaths on his own. They put him back on, and just a few hours ago they were able to take him entirely off the ventilator, and he is breathing on his own. However, he is still in a coma," Andrea Williams said.
The family is keeping vigil at the hospital, hoping perhaps the worst is behind them.
Drew Williams' coach said that the student suffered bleeding on the brain after taking a hit and surgeons have had to open his skull to relieve the pressure.
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines 18 min ago
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS 41 min ago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids 12 min ago
- Employees, customers prepare for Dominick's final days 51 min ago
- Midlothian's The Tint Shop burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- Me You & Her raises money for Chicago food banks
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in...
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos