Tribute for injured Lane Tech player, Drew Williams showing signs of improvement after brain injury
October 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A moving tribute during a high school football game for a badly injured player and Friday tonight the family of Drew Williams tells ABC 7 the hospitalized senior is showing signs of improvement. .
Teammates, coaches and others gathered before Friday night's football game at Lane Tech High School to honor Williams, who suffered a brain injury during last week's game.
Emotional moments ahead of Friday night lights at the historic high school in Roscoe Village.
The parents of high school senior Drew Williams accepted the prayers of a student body that has experienced the anxiety along with the family over the prognosis for a star football player felled last week during a game.
"He's part of the football team, which is a bit part of Lane," said student Jesus Nunez. "It's just terrible what happened to him, hopefully he gets through it."
"He's our fallen brother and as a family we have to be there for him and his family," student Anastasia Saavedra said.
The senior said he felt unwell during a game against Dunbar and was carted off the field. He was rushed to Christ Advocate Medical Center with a brain injury.
Friday evening his sister said that after several days in a coma drew is breathing on his own. But he is not out of the woods yet.
"Earlier (Friday) they had taken him off the ventilator and he took a few breaths on his own. They put him back on, and just a few hours ago they were able to take him entirely off the ventilator, and he is breathing on his own. However, he is still in a coma," Andrea Williams said.
The family is keeping vigil at the hospital, hoping perhaps the worst is behind them.
Drew Williams' coach said that the student suffered bleeding on the brain after taking a hit and surgeons have had to open his skull to relieve the pressure.
- Teen dead after car chase and shooting 33 min ago
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue
- South Korea ferry captain, 2 crew members arrested
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- Woman dies after being rescued from Lake Michigan
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake
- Teen dead after car chase and shooting
33 min ago