Two-car crash injures 5 on South Side near King Drive, Marquette
October 14, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A two-car crash on Chicago's South Side sent five people to the hospital on Monday morning. Witnesses say police were pursing one of those vehicles.
Three passengers from the car that was hit were transported to Stroger Hospital and are in stable condition. A passenger of the car that witnesses say was being chased is also at that hospital, though police are not releasing the names of anyone involved.
Witnesses say the driver of an SUV crashed into a red Pontiac about 9:30 a.m. Monday. Police say the three male occupants were the same young men they saw handing off a gun a short time earlier in the 1100-block of East 67th.
They say they tried to stop the vehicle, but the driver took off.
Greg Jackson was across the street at the intersection of Marquette and King Drive when he saw the speeding SUV.
"I seen the police chasing that Lexus truck down Vernon. They was following at a real high speed. When he turned the corner on Marquette and got to King Drive, that's when he ran into the red Pontiac car, crushed into the wall," said Greg Jackson, witness.
A police spokesperson says officers were not involved in a high speed chase, though witnesses say it appeared otherwise.
Paramedics transported three women in the red Pontiac to hospitals and two suspects in the SUV. Four suspects are now in custody.
"They jumped out the car and ran under the viaduct, and that's when the police caught 'em and brought 'em back," said Jackson.
Police tell ABC7 that the driver of the suspect's car was taken to University of Chicago Hospital and that a man taken into the custody at the scene is being questioned. No charges have been filed.
chicago news, john garcia
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill 44 min ago
- Chicago weather: Temps fall by end of week
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 6 min ago
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Man allegedly assaulted first responders in River North
- Illinois pension battle brewing after law passes
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado 37 min ago
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville 48 min ago
- Lucas, Hobson donate $25M to After School Matters 50 min ago
- Atheists erect 8-foot 'A' in Chicago to mark holidays 59 min ago
- Report: R. Kelly mansion in Olympia Fields purchased
- Photos: La Porte County stolen items on display
- abcnews: Truck carrying radioactive material stolen
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
6 min ago
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado
37 min ago