Runway opens at O'Hare Airport; Residents concerned about noise
October 17, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- O'Hare Airport's new runway will cut down on delays, officials said. But a shift in flight patterns will increase noise for some nearby homeowners.
10-28C, which is two miles long and O'Hare's widest runway, is expected to cut flight delays by 50-percent. The sound of an arriving jet smothered the celebration at O'Hare Airport as Runway 10C-28C was officially dedicated. Those in attendance cheered.
"It's a great sound!" Chicago Aviation Commissioner Rosie Andolino said.
But not everyone feels the same.
"The whole quality of life in the neighborhood has changed. We wake up in the morning with the sound of the jets. We get to go to sleep when the jets stop at night," Steve Lushniak, Edison Park resident, said.
There are now four east-west runways - and a fifth is planned. That means the noise contours surrounding O'Hare have changed and neighborhoods that were unaccustomed to noise years ago are now getting it with regularity.
"We realize they're, of course, not going away. We realize it's needed for the economy for the area. But let's spread this out a little bit," Steve Lushniak/Edison Park
A coalition of residents neighboring O'Hare argues for more varied runway usage and though the O'Hare Expansion Plan is not likely to undergo much change, the mayor says the city wants to be a good neighbor.
"So we're very sensitive as a city, and our aviation department and the way we manage our airports to work with the surrounding communities. We do it in a way that I think is at least balanced. We're going to work at doing it better," said Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
A portion 10-28C covers land where St Johnannes Cemetery was once located. The city won that long legal fight. The graves were moved for a runway O'Hare officials are calling "the crossroads to the world."
ohare airport, chicago news, paul meincke
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Minimum wage hike referendums on Tuesday's ballots
- Blagojevich begins 3rd year in prison
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- NU women's basketball team committed to autism awareness 25 min ago
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Daily Herald: Kid Loses Foot In Train Accident 18 min ago
- abcnews: Curious Case of L.A.'s Tattooed Ted Cruz...
- Mujeres Latinas en Acción: Voces...
45 min ago
- NU women's basketball team committed to...
25 min ago