Doctor testifies in Bucktown bat attack trial that seriously injured Natasha McShane, Stacy Jurich
October 17, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The doctor who treated Natasha McShane in 2010 said the exchange student from Northern Ireland could make sounds, but not form words after she was beaten with a baseball bat in Bucktown.
McShane and her friend, Stacy Jurich, were seriously injured in the attack. Heriberto Viramontes is charged with 25 felony counts, included attempted murder, in the brutal beating.
Dr. Marius Katilius testified during Viramontes' trial on Thursday. He said McShane had a skull fracture, only opening her eye in response to something painful, and unable to speak, although making sounds. She was the most seriously injured, and requires constant care still.
Jurich, who testified on Wednesday, was conscious, Dr. Katilius said, and able to answer questions.
Prosecutors say Viramontes and Marcy Cruz, who pleaded guilty in the case in a deal that includes her testimony against Viramontes, attacked McShane and Jurich, stole their purses, and went on a shopping spree with their credit cards.
A gas station clerk identified Viramontes as one of his customers the morning of the attack.
Viramontes' defense team said their client doesn't fit the description first given by Jurich of the attacker.
McShane's mother testified on Wednesday. The family was shaken after seeing evidence a police technician said she collected at the scene: a jacket with visible blood stains. That's the same jacket Jurich said she took off when she saw McShane on the ground bleeding.
"She was not moving on the ground. The blood started coming out of her head. I took my jacket and supported her head as much as I could. And I ran for help," Jurich said on Wednesday.
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 6 min ago
- Photos: Farm animals rescued in Kane County
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters 15 min ago
- Netflix subscribers targeted in phishing scam
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics 25 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos